We are proud to announce that we are releasing two new “D Series” Fine Protection (FPL Series) devices for protecting GPS and other Global Navigation Band Receivers.
These products will completely replace the existing “B Series” Fine Protection Devices for GPS applications, the FPLNFNFBxxx and FPLTFTFBxxx units, in the near future. Form, Fit, and Function details remain the same between the existing and new devices in order to allow for a simple and painless transition for existing users.
The Type N version is available now, and the TNC version will be available later in 2018;
Click the Product Photos below to learn more about each device
Type N – FPLNFNFDxxx
TNC – FPLTFTFDxxx
Although this new Technical Note covering how to test/screen an arrestor to ensure that it is working and operating properly was specifically created in reference to our FPL series of units designed to protect GPS and other Global Navigation equipment…the input here also applies to the majority of the NexTek FPL and FPN series units. Most of the FPL and FPN series, including the FPL GPS arrestors, use multiple stages of protection circuitry inside.
This relative complexity makes the FPL and FPN series Fine Protectors a bit more complex to test properly, when compared to other common types such as Gas Discharge Tube or Quarter Wavelength Shorted Stub arrestors.
Operational/Protection Voltage Testing
- Without an actual lightning tester (such as the common 1.2×50µs / 8×20µs Induced Lightning waveform testers,) it is difficult to completely verify Transient Response and Performance.
- The lowest-voltage component is usually the only one that can be tested using a Diode Tester or Slow Rising DC Power Supply & Multimeter combination. For NexTek FPL and FPN series devices, this usually means a fast-acting semiconductor Protection Diode that is responsible for final energy cleanup. However, this component is usually the least robust in terms of Transient Current Handling so if it remains intact and operating within specs…the entire unit should be working OK.
Test Voltage Levels – Units may have +1V, +3.3V, +5V, +12V, +24, or other common Protection Voltage ratings
Continuity and Insulation Testing
- Any FPL or FPN series units that are rated to pass DC Power through the unit will test positive for continuity between center pins, when using a Multimeter tool.
RF Thru-Performance / Proper Radio Operation
- One of the simplest ways to test the basic functionality of any arrestor, not just the FPL and FPN series units, is to test the unit in a radio installation and verify proper system operation. This alone is a positive indicator that the unit is operating properly and is probably not damaged.
Download Technical Note and Learn More
Our FPL Series of GPS Lightning Arrestors have been providing security and confidence to users of GPS Positioning and Timing Synchronization Systems around the world for over 10 years! These multi-stage protectors provide the fastest-acting surge protection available for DC Pass GPS and Global Navigation Band applications operating between 1.15 and 1.61 GHz.
The special multi-stage design incorporates a Gas Discharge Tube first stage, similar to what is used in NexTek’s PTC and PTR series GDT arrestors. However, as most GPS Receivers are quite sensitive to OverVoltage and Surge Related Damage…a Gas Discharge Tube alone is often not enough to provide adequate clamping by itself. Because of this, there are additional protection elements inside every FPL series arrestor including a Metal Oxide Varistor and a fast-acting Clamping Diode.
In addition to the enhanced protection provided by the multistage “Fine Protector” circuit inside, the FPL series provides a compact form factor that is easy to integrate into any design and impressive environmental ratings, including being waterproof to IP68 levels!
FPL Series Arrestor Highlights:
- Military Grade
- Low Cost at OEM Quantities
- Best Protection Level Available
- Compact Form Factor
- Environmental Ratings
For the best surge and lightning protection for any GPS Radio, Antenna, or Receiver setup…The NexTek FPL series will provide long-lasting protection in any environment and will give you the confidence in knowing that your system is protected!
FPL Series – Product Family Page
FPLNFNFBP05 – Example FPL Series Product